The state-wide chapter of the National Home School Honor Society
Membership in Rho Gamma is open to all SC students, grades 10~12 who are being educated under options 1, 2, or 3 of the state home school law, and whose family are SCHEA members.
“The purpose of Eta Sigma Alpha National Home School Honor Society shall be to recognize and encourage scholarship among home school students. To achieve this purpose, Eta Sigma Alpha National Home School Honor Society shall provide opportunities for the development of leadership and service. Eta Sigma Alpha shall encourage the development of an intellectual climate that will stimulate the exchange of ideas and ideals, foster scholarship, and promote academic excellence. Eta Sigma Alpha shall also advocate homeschooling as a viable and successful educational methodology and act as a liaison for homeschooling to the general public, colleges/universities, and the media.” — from the mission statement of the national organization.
- Certificate of membership
- Membership pin
- Membership card
- Letter of Acceptance
Membership requirements. Student must:
- Be a current high school student in grades 10-12, receiving instruction under Option 1, 2 or 3.
- Hold a cumulative GPA of 3.5 or higher for all high school years.
- Have successfully completed minimum of four high school units of core (required) work each year, beginning with 9th grade.
- Must meet one of the following requirements:A test score of 88 (CLT), 1800 (Old SAT), or 1200 (New SAT), 26 (ACT) , 1200 (PSAT) 1200 (PSAT 10), 1200 (PSAT 8/9), 90% composite score on the Iowa ,or 90% on the total battery on the Stanford nationally normed standardized achievement tests.Please note: The test score must come from one test. Section scores from different tests may not be combined to achieve the required test score for membership. Although some college scholarship applications accept super scoring, we do not. Test scores should not be more than 1 year old.
- Complete at least 20 hours of volunteer community service, documented via letter from supervisor. [Parents may certify service where a letter is impractical.] Service hours must be performed outside the home and be for the benefit on non-family members. E.g., library volunteer, church nursery worker, tutoring, etc.
How to apply for membership in the Rho Gamma Chapter of Eta Sigma Alpha:
- Family must be a member of SCHEA. SCHEA application
- Complete Rho Gamma membership application- Rho Gamma Application
- Gather supporting documents:
- Transcript or report card that includes cumulative weighted GPA. (must reflect minimum of four core credits per year)
- Photocopy of test score: must include student’s name, date of test and score
- Verification letter from service supervisor
- Mail application, fee and supporting documents to SCHEA PO Box 2707, Irmo, SC 29063, between Oct 1st and Nov 15th.
- Send an email to email@example.com as follows:
- Subject line: 2016 Application for [student’s name]
- Body of email, state: student’s name as it should appear on certificate, current grade in school and the date application package was mailed.
- Members will receive a certificate and pin when they initially join. Letters will be sent to new and renewing members. [Additional pins are available for $5, plus postage.]
- Applications are accepted between October 1st and November 15th each year.
- Renewal applications will not need to include new test results if the student previously joined using SAT or ACT scores. [Those who submitted grade-level test scores, such as Stanford or Iowa, or PSAT will still need to resubmit scores annually.]
- Academic record (report card or transcript) must reflect ALL academic work, not just high school credit classes. If a student is taking a mix of credit and non-credit courses, a report card may be preferred to a transcript that reflects only the credit courses.
- Service hours record should be in letter format from the supervisor of the service activity. This letter may serve as a substitute for a log sheet. Applicants need not include ALL service activities, as they need only 20 hours to qualify for membership.
- The Rho Gamma Chapter of Eta Sigma Alpha was chartered in 2002, with the central purpose of providing a chapter for those home schooled students that do not live close enough to participate in a local South Carolina Eta Sigma Alpha chapter. Eta Sigma Alpha members will be considered by colleges and universities to be on equal footing with National Honor Society students when applying for college admission and when competing for college scholarships.
- Click here for a Rho Gamma Application in pdf format.(52K)
Contact Us for More Information
SCHEA PO Box 2707, Irmo, SC 29063
|Eta Sigma Alpha|